What is success? Is it measurable? Does it mean the same thing to each of us?
As we talked about in a previous posting , having realistic goals and ways to achieve those goals can be a large part of achieving success.
That said, success doesn’t just happen. It happens when we have the drive and commitment to get what we want, and when we are willing to confront our negative attitudes about our inability to succeed.
Success happens when we stop thinking about our lack of success. It happens when we decide that we have “had it” with our negative self-image and the world around us and are willing, and importantly, determined to challenge our present unproductive course of action.
If you are attempting to change your career or unhappily employed and want to have a rewarding career search, here are some ideas for you to ponder:
- Successful career seekers do what they don’t want to do anyway, because it’s the right thing to do.
- Successful career seekers are responsible for their own success or failure. They know that they have a choice. They can be proactive and make things happen.
- Successful career seekers believe in, “To thine own self be true.” No lies, no excuses, no procrastination. They just do it.
- Successful career seekers use all of their energy in focusing on, and working toward, the end result. They just sort of “catch fire”, meaning their commitment is intense. Commitment is energy, waiting to be used!
- Successful career seekers are willing to examine what is not working and are open to new ideas. They are expedient in looking for ways to open the door to top-level interviews.
So, what are you waiting for? You’ve heard it said that “opportunity will not come up and bite you!” Summon up the courage and start to develop the career of your choice, in the industry of your choice.